Alberta Advantage Immigration Program (AAIP, updated on February 16, 2022), earlier known as Alberta Immigrant Nominee Program (AINP) is one of the most successful Provincial Nominee Programs (PNP). Numerous Permanent Residence applicants from all over the world seek to immigrate Canada under this pathway.
Alberta PNP program eligibility criteria are same for the prior applicants who have already submitted their applications under AINP. The nomination program of Alberta qualifying requirements have not changed. Candidates who have applied through online portal must now request a nomination extension through the same platform, rest of the post-decision processes remain unaffected.
Alberta, known for heavenly natural beauty and richness in fossils and agriculture, is situated in Western Canada. It is one of the three beautiful Prairie Provinces and home of over 4 million citizens. Alberta’s capital is Edmonton and one of the major cities of Canada; Calgary is also part of this province. In addition, strongest economy since a decade makes Provincial Nominee Program in Alberta more popular. Moreover there is no provincial sales tax and cost of living is also cheaper as compare to other provinces.
Potential immigrants who meet the province’s requirements for skills and work experience may obtain Alberta Provincial Nomination Certificate via Alberta immigration program. Nominees must exhibit skills to meet employment shortages or propose to purchase or establish a new business; they can also assist their families to migrate with them. Provincial Nominee Program in Alberta is operated by Canadian Federal and Alberta government jointly. Applications for permanent residence are assessed by Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC).
Fee: Application fee is paid through AAIP online portal using single credit or debit card for all streams. Fee is non refundable and needs to be paid within 24 hours of application submission.
Alberta Advantage Immigration Program Streams
Below are eight streams, divided into two major programs, you can choose the one appropriate for your situation
Streams for Workers
- Alberta Opportunity Stream
- Alberta Express Entry Stream
- Accelerated Tech Pathway
- Rural Renewal Stream
Streams for Entrepreneurs
- Rural Entrepreneur Stream
- Graduate Entrepreneur Stream
- Farm Stream
- Foreign Graduate Entrepreneur Stream
Streams for workers: Foreign workers who are living/working or aim to live/work in Alberta can apply under these streams.
- Alberta Opportunity Stream (AOS):
Alberta Opportunity Stream is a popular Provincial Nominee Program in Alberta. Qualified candidates under AOS are foreign workers who have completed their studies at approved Alberta post-secondary institutions and employed there on an approved Post-Graduation Work Permit (PGWP) or have studied from any other province of Canada, now on Temporary Foreign Work Permit (TFWP) with official offer letter from Albertan employer.
- Valid work permit
- Eligible occupation in Alberta, current occupation must match with work experience
- Work experience must be either, 12 months full-time in last 18 months inside Alberta or 24 months full-time in last 30 months in Canada (outside Alberta)
- Necessary licensing, registration or certification to work in current occupation
- Minimum of Canadian high school education, ECA required if studied outside Canada
- Canadian Language Benchmark (CLB) or Niveaux de competence linguistique canadiens (NCLC) level 4 or 5 depending on occupation
Applicants want to apply under Alberta Opportunity Stream needs to fill their application through AAIP online portal, specific documents must also be submitted along with application, fee is CAD 500.
- Alberta Express Entry Stream:
Applicants who already have a profile in the federal Express Entry pool can apply under this PNP program for Alberta. Individuals who have demonstrable links to Alberta and their skills are beneficial for province’s economic growth may be asked to apply.
- Profile must be submitted in the Federal Express Entry pool
- Primary occupation in Express Entry application must support Alberta’s economic development and diversification
- Stated an interest in immigrating permanently to Alberta
- Minimum Comprehensive Ranking System (CRS) score of 300
The Alberta Express Entry Stream is only open to those who have been invited. Candidates with Express Entry profiles may get a Notification of Interest (NOI) under the federal system from the Alberta government. Invited applicants then have 2 weeks of time to notify the province that they want to be considered for Alberta PNP program selection.
If chosen, applicants will be contacted by the Alberta Immigration Program and asked to submit all relevant documentation through their online portal, application fee is CAD 500.
- Accelerated Tech Pathway:
Accelerated Tech Pathway falls under Alberta Express Entry Stream. It gives fast processing to foreign employees who are presently employed by, or have a job offer from, an Alberta-based tech industry employer in a qualified tech occupation.
- Active Express Entry profile in Federal Express Entry pool
- Minimum CRS score 300
- Must be employed in an approved tech employment in Alberta or have received a job offer in one
- Stated an interest in immigrating permanently to Alberta
Candidates who are presently employed or have a job offer from an Alberta technology industry employer in an approved tech occupation and meet the qualifications for the Alberta Express Entry stream can begin the application process under the Accelerated Tech Pathway. They must do so by filling out an online form on the Alberta Advantage Immigration Program (AAIP) website. Candidates will obtain an invitation from portal to apply for this nomination program of Alberta by submitting all essential documents, application fee is CAD 500.
The Rural Renewal Stream helps to recruit and retain immigrants to rural areas of province through a community-driven Provincial Nominee Program in Alberta, which meets local economic development requirements and contributes to community progress. This stream assists rural towns in attracting and retaining foreign nationals to live, work, and settle in their areas.
Your Alberta employer must be incorporated or registered by/under an act of the legislature of a province, territory or the Parliament of Canada and must be functioning as an established company with production capability. The place of business must be in Alberta.
- A bona-fide full time job offer or employment contract from an Alberta employer, at the time application is submitted
- Minimum of 12 months full-time work experience in last 18 months
- Work experience must be in an eligible occupation
- Minimum high school education or Educational Credential Assessment (ECA), if studied outside Canada
- Proof of funds to support themselves as well as family members while moving to designated community
The Rural Renewal Stream is a two step process:
- A community designation process: To address labour demands, the community recruits newcomers and an Endorsement of Candidate letter is issued by Economic Development Organization (EDO) from designated rural community in province.
- Then, submit the application, fee is CAD 500.
Streams for entrepreneurs:
Foreign nationals who plan to live in Alberta and want to buy or start a business they can choose a stream from underneath.
- Rural Entrepreneur Stream
The Rural Entrepreneur Stream is an Alberta immigration program, for those who want to come to the province for economic reasons. An Expression of Interest can be submitted by entrepreneurs who wish to start a business or purchase an existing firm in a rural Alberta community.
- CLB/NCLC 4
- Minimum net worth of CAD 300,000
- Minimum 3 years of work experience as an active business owner or a minimum of 4 years of experience as a senior manager in last 10 years
- Minimum of high school education of Canada or ECA
- If business is new then applicant’s share must be 51% and rest must be of Canadian Citizen or Permanent Resident or if purchasing an established business, then applicant must have 100% ownership
- Business must create job for atleast 1 Canadian Citizen or Permanent Resident
- Applicant must have a Community Support Letter form a participating rural Alberta community
Rural Entrepreneur stream is a community-driven PNP program for Alberta; entrepreneurs who want to start a business in rural Alberta must first contact a participating community and schedule an exploratory visit. Following the exploratory visit, the entrepreneur must submit a business plan that includes information about the firm as well as community benefits. The entrepreneur is then given a supporting letter. After gaining community support, the foreign national submits an Expression of Interest (EOI) to the Alberta immigration program portal, application fee is CAD 3,500.
- Graduate Entrepreneur Stream:
Qualified foreign graduates from Alberta approved post-secondary institutes who desire to start or run a business in province are nominated for permanent residence of Canada under this nomination program of Alberta.
- At least 2 years of full-time qualification, leading to diploma or degree from an Alberta institute
- Having an approved Post Graduation Work Permit (PGWP)
- CLB/NCLC 7
- Minimum 34% ownership of the business
After meeting eligibility for Graduate Entrepreneur Stream, Expression of Interest (EOI) is submitted to online portal. EOI will be assessed and ranked within 30 days; high rankers will be requested to submit a Business Application, fee is CAD 3,500.
Farm Stream is a PNP program for Alberta, advantageous for entrepreneurs with the financial means and farm management skills to establish a new farm or buy an existing one.
- Farm management skills; (documentation of fund investment, education, experience and business plan)
- Sufficient financial resources; (must invest a minimum of CAD 500,000)
- Primary production investment; (document invest plan in a proposed business plan)
Interested applicants must first submit a business proposal to the Alberta government and wait for a response. The Alberta Advantage Immigration Program (AAIP) made its decision after consulting with Alberta Agriculture and Forestry to verify that the business plan is viable and project fits the needs of the agricultural industry in Alberta. If you obtain a good decision, you must acquire the necessary documentation and fill out for nomination program of Alberta as well as Immigration, Refugees, and Citizenship Canada (IRCC), application fee is CAD 500.
- Foreign Graduate Entrepreneur Stream:
Eligible foreign graduates from outside of Canada who desire to start their own firms or innovate in Alberta can apply under Foreign Graduate Entrepreneur Stream. It is an economic PNP program, an alliance between Alberta PNP and approved designated agencies.
- Minimum of 6 months full-time work experience as an owner
- A business plan with projected financials
- CLB/NCLC 5
- Educational Credential Assessment (ECA) of Post-secondary education from international institute. Qualification must be completed within last 10 years and must be equivalent to Canadian degree
- A 10 minute slide show presentation illustrating the proposed business and must be focused on investor’s desire
- Minimum of 34% ownership if business is located in urban centre and if located in regional area outside Edmonton or Calgary then 51%.
- Having a letter of recommendation from an AAIP- approved designated agency
- Candidates must show they have funds needed to establish business as well as they can support themselves and their families
- Prior coming to Canada, applicant must have minimum level of investment from their own equity, recognized Canadian financial institution, venture capital or angel investment firm
- Requirement of funds depend upon the family members and population size of the community where you seek to start your business
If applicant wants to apply under Foreign Graduate Entrepreneur stream, he/she must collaborate with designated agency to obtain a Letter of Recommendation. Then Expression of Interest (EOI) along with letter of recommendation needs to be submitted into Alberta Immigration Program portal, application fee is CAD 3,500.
Candidates who wish to apply Canada’s PR can pick any above mentioned stream suitable for their situation, and can avail top notch facilities of Canada.
Career Plus Immigration Consultants are always ready to assist you and solve your concerns.