The Northwest Territories Nominee Program (NTNP) is a track to the PR of Canada in the Northwest Territories. Immigrants from different nations can settle in the Northwest Territories if they have a job offer from an employer or seek to start, purchase, or invest in a business in the territory.
The Northwest Territories (NWT) is one of the three territories in Canada; it is the most populous of the three, with a population of around 45,000 people. The capital is Yellowknife, which is home to approximately 19,000 people. The NWT is equipped with first-class health services, a quality education system, and plenty of jobs. Apart from that, countless adventures, fun activities, and excellent service from the government make the place worth living in.
There are two ways; a foreign national could immigrate to Northwest Territories.
1. Employer Driven Stream 2. Business Stream
If you are interested to obtain permanent residency of Canada through Northwest Territories PNP, first you will have to fill an online form. First territory nominates you if you meet all the requirements, then Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) issues you an ITA for PR of Canada in Northwest Territories.
Employer Driven Stream
Employer Driven Stream is for foreign nationals who have a valid job offer from potential Northwest Territories employers and fulfill the eligibility criteria of any of the three sub categories under NWT nominee program Canada.
- NWT Skilled worker
- NWT Express Entry
- NWT Entry Level/Semi-Skilled Occupation
NWT Skilled Worker
NWT Skilled Worker category is designed to increase the labour pool for skilled-level jobs within the National Occupational Classification (NOC) Skill Levels O, A, and B. Applicants must possess the necessary skills, qualification and experience, in order to receive territorial nomination from Northwest Territories PNP.
NWT Express Entry
Only those applicants who have already submitted their federal Express Entry profile to Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) and are in the pool with an Express Entry profile number are eligible for the NWT Express Entry category. In the application, applicants must have stated an interest in settling down permanently in the Northwest Territories.
NWT Entry Level/Semi-Skilled Occupation
NWT Entry Level/Semi-Skilled Occupation category aims to expand the labour pool for workers in the National Occupational Classification (NOC) skill levels C and D. This category is generated by those employers who have severe labour shortages that can’t be met by local permanent residents, or Canadian citizens.
- The employer must be a Canadian citizen or permanent resident with a business location in the Northwest Territories.
- Potential employers can provide a job offer to the candidate if there is no local Canadian citizen or permanent resident available in the territory to fill the position and it is not impacting the labour market.
- They must obtain Labour Market Impact Assessment (LMIA) and exhibit proof of job advertisement.
Eligibility Criteria of an applicant
- Applicant should have all necessary documents such as valid work permit, passport, birth certificate, marriage certificate, passport, and bank statements
- If applying from inside Canada, applicant must have a legal status to work and live there
- An Educational Credential Assessment (ECA) to prove the authenticity of necessary education
- CLB 7 for NOC Skill Level 0 and A jobs.
- CLB 5 for NOC Skill Level B jobs.
- CLB 4 for NOC Skill Level C and D jobs.
- Language proficiency test can be for English or French
- Proof of settlement funds to support themselves as well as family members
- Wage must be equivalent to or more than current minimum wage rate of Northwest Territories
- Employment agreement must be for a full-time, permanent position (minimum 37.5 hours per week)
The Business Stream, Northwest Territories Nominee Program, Canada is a pathway to permanent residence of Canada for foreign nations who holds the ability to start a new business in NWT. Candidates can even purchase or invest in an existing business.
Applicants must meet the requirements and submit a complete online application and business plan to the Department of Industry, Tourism and Investment. After reviewing the application, if business plan gets approval and is successfully implemented in the territory, the applicant will obtain nomination. Following this, the process of permanent residence will be started.
- A minimum investment of
- $ 300,000, if starting or buying a business within the corporate boundaries of Yellowknife, Northwest Territories
- $ 150,000, if starting or buying a business outside the corporate boundaries of Yellowknife, Northwest Territories
- A personal net worth of at least
- $ 500,000, if starting or buying a business within the corporate boundaries of Yellowknife, Northwest Territories
- $ 250,000, if starting or buying a business outside the corporate boundaries of Yellowknife, Northwest Territories
- At least one-third shareholder of the business
- Required education and experience to successfully implement the business plan
- No active application with any other provincial or territorial nominee program or with any other stream under Northwest Territories PNP
Upon approval of the business plan, an agreement is signed between applicant and NWT nominee program staff. Once the Business Performance Agreement is signed, the Department of Industry, Tourism, and Investment will provide letter of support for two year work permit. This letter of support will allow the applicant to receive an approved work permit.
After reaching Canada, applicant will have 60 days to complete the ‘Arrival Report Submission’ in their NTNP account. From this day, applicants will now have 12 months to carry out their business plan considering Business Performance Agreement. In the 19th month, applicant submits the Final Report.
NTNP staff evaluates the Final Report and the applicant is invited to take part in a final exit interview. This interview ensures whether the applicant is eligible for nomination or not depending on some factors such as applicant’s time in last two years, their current and future plans for business.
Applicants may apply their application for permanent residence of Canada, once they get nomination from Northwest Territories immigration nominee program to IRCC.
Career Plus Immigration Consultants are always ready to assist you and solve your concerns.