When applying for study permit for Canada applicants must provide the Designated Learning Institution number (DLI #) beginning with the letter “O” on the study permit application form.In some cases, students may be exempt from providing a letter from a DLI, or from providing a DLI number on their application. The following cases provided below may include, but are not limited to:
- Students at a primary or secondary institution as these schools are all automatically designated, and no DLI number is provided.
- A family member of a foreign national whose application for a work permit or a study permit is approved in writing before the foreign national enters Canada. In this case, the family member may obtain an open study permit.
- Some institutions in Quebec are designated by the provincial government, but do not have a unique DLI number.
Sometimes, DLI’s can lose their designated status. The international student may be affected if DLI’s status is lost considering the following examples:
- If the applicant applies for a study permit with a letter of acceptance from an institution that is not a DLI, the study permit application is refused.
- If the applicant applies for a study permit with a letter of acceptance from a DLI, but during the process the DLI loses its designated status before the study permit is issued, the student has three options and may:
- Withdraw the application
- Submit a letter of acceptance from a different DLI
- Do nothing, in which case the application will be processed according to the information provided and will therefore be refused.
- If the applicant receives a study permit for a DLI, and the institution loses its designated status after the issuance of the study permit, the student may:
- Transfer to another DLI
- Continue studying at the non-designated DLI until the study permit expires. But the study permit may not be renewed for the non-designated institution.
For the list of designated institutions (DLI) please visit the following website https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/study-canada/study-permit/prepare/designated-learning-institutions-list.html